DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
67 7,864
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
because this is just for show. They flew an empty shell like a RC drone over the airport and called it a day.

Perhaps there should be a better explanation.
The system just made its maiden flight recently, things need to mature gradually.

I guess what I mean is, they could have invested the money in its development instead of buying large number of TB-2 as they are not in a hurry to form a drone force right now.

Or they probably they could learn a lot from TB-2 for their own program.

Last edited:

Philip the Arab

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
4 2,237
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Jordan
@Afif
There is a large need for drones for the UAE for the many bases it has in country and overseas on Soctora for example. TB2 alone can’t fulfill that need. If the Reach-S only costs 1.1 million than even putting 100 million into purchases can acquire enough for whatever needs.

I’d say there’s space for both and they are working on munition testing with a smaller drone called “instrumented drone 30”

I screengrabbed some footage from LAAD 2023

9367C0D1-2C0B-4CB0-9BBB-395890743C05.jpeg

1681777067467.jpeg

“At the Dubai Air Show, we showed the Reach-S as a dummy model. It is now a flying plane, and we are in the process of closing a very large order,” he said, before revealing how much a single aircraft will cost without a ground control station.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
67 7,864
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Good news! Local industry participation in supplying PGM would reduce cost and foreign dependency.

Is this specific to UAE variant of rafale or would be available for 3rd parties too?

Philip the Arab

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
4 2,237
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Jordan
Good news! Local industry participation in supplying PGM would reduce cost and foreign dependency.

Is this specific to UAE variant of rafale or would be available for 3rd parties too?
I’m not sure honestly, I know the AASM is expensive so this could be an option to third party countries. Would need more details in the future to know if UAE specific or export oriented as well.

But this does mean the French are a lot more lenient that America in terms of weapon integration.

Philip the Arab

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
4 2,237
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Jordan
Halcon is working on developing all their propulsion technology independently

EDR On-Line understood that EDGE has already started developing its own solution. “A turbojet engine has already been designed, it has been tested on the bench, and I hope we will be demonstrating it in a year’s time. It has been an exciting and interesting development,” Hamad Al Marar announced. “The facilities are under construction and within the next two years we will have a complete independence in propulsion.”

This will not be the case for internal combustion engines; here EDGE is cooperating with a local engine manufacturer, which designed a propulsor capable to replace the one currently used on the 600 kg MTOW REACH-S

Guidance kits are the same used in the DS series, the SAL multipixel sensor being designed in-house, its production being currently outsourced. HALCON is however planning the construction of a clean room, which will allow to bring in-house also the seeker production.

The GNSS assisted INS version is in production at a pace of 27 per shift

With the current production layout HALCON is capable to produce 50 DS-16 per shift; it is to note that all printed circuit boards (PCB) are produced in house, the same being true for most of the mechanical components which also receive their surface treatment in the HALCON premises. All harness is also produced at the factory, which also has full test capabilities. Only 5% of the mechanical component are outsourced, coming from EPI, another EDGE entity also based at TIP, the only operation totally outsourced being the explosive filling, which is the responsibility of LAHAB, the ammunition producer among EDGE entities. The DS-16 is in full production, an order for 7,000 units having been bagged, half of which in the SAL variant.

Philip the Arab

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
4 2,237
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Jordan
They need to solve the stability issue with Reach-S. Also, why doesn't it have any FLIR?

Loitering munition looks promising.
Those are just the prototypes, but yeah I did notice the stability issues especially around takeoff and landing. It will be worked on and tweaked further but it went from plywood model to prototype in like 24 months so expect some issues. Larger model was unveiled called Reach-M with 1600 kg takeoff weight. They have their own little test range called X range on an island off the coast of Abu Dhabi for testing.

100 units were ordered at DAS 2023

Look how many new engineers they are looking to hire

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom