Arab Moderator
Morocco Moderator
Reactions
16 4,434
Nation of residence
Norway
Nation of origin
Moroco
Pictures taken during flintlock shooting exercises together with the American airborne special group 3rd group, as well as Norwegian special force soldiers.

Components from the Moroccan gendarmerie, commando units of the second infantry paratrooper brigade, and M-SOF were present with either soldiers or instructors.

Moroccan C.O.S and M-SOF.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.PNG

5.PNG

6.PNG

8.PNG

Knowledgeseeker

Experienced member
Arab Moderator
Morocco Moderator
Reactions
16 4,434
Nation of residence
Norway
Nation of origin
Moroco
Scenes published by the newly created official social media account of the royal armed forces. The Moroccan military establishment seems to keep learning from military conflicts that are taking place around the globe. In this regard, it seems like the Moroccan army has created a special unit trained for tunnel warfare that could used by militias, and other terrorist groups.

Capture african 1.PNG

Capture.PNG

Capture 1.PNG

Capture 3.PNG

The training end with some shooting exercises

capture 5.PNG

capture 4.PNG

Knowledgeseeker

Experienced member
Arab Moderator
Morocco Moderator
Reactions
16 4,434
Nation of residence
Norway
Nation of origin
Moroco
There has been some news circulating for the past year regarding the interest of the Americans to move their AFRICOM headquarters to Morocco. During the African lion exercise that lasted from 20 may to the 31st May, many members of the congress, as well as AFRICOM commanders attended.

Morocco has in the past always rejected foreign bases in its territory, and the rumors are giving Moroccans mixed feelings due to its nature of sovereignty, and independence.

My question arises, how would such a move affect Morocco militarily, and economically speaking? Pros vs cons?

@Anmdt @BaburKhan @Afif @Kartal1 @TR_123456 @Kartal1 @Bogeyman @Yasar_TR @Saithan @Gary @dBSPL , and the rest of the respected brothers in the forum.

BaburKhan

Reactions
5 773
Website
www.instagram.com
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Germany
Morocco is allways a important Ally in the Region for the US. The US will likely move to Morocco because it lost it's Base in Niger. Without any Presence, the US can't do anything if a Development goes not in Line with their Interests.

Maybe Morocco can get F-35 or F-15 EX in Exchange for the Base.

Knowledgeseeker

Experienced member
Arab Moderator
Morocco Moderator
Reactions
16 4,434
Nation of residence
Norway
Nation of origin
Moroco
Morocco is allways a important Ally in the Region for the US. The US will likely move to Morocco because it lost it's Base in Niger. Without any Presence, the US can't do anything if a Development goes not in Line with their Interests.

Such a move would be only taken based on the long relationship between the two states, and the capability that Morocco possesses in the African continent from not only a military standpoint but also economy, and diplomacy. These developments have long been on the agenda even before the expulsion of the American troops stationed in Niger. Morocco on the other hand has excellent ties with the new Sahel block, and Morocco is countering the French reach in its near proximity.

The Americans on the other hand need a strong ally in the continent where common interests can be met, and we also see that Turkey, China, Russia, Iran, and the Gulf states are also involved in the continent.

With all respect to you brother, Morocco is not that cheap. If Morocco accepts such a proposal from the Americans to move its headquarters to Morocco then it means a new huge dimensional cooperation that will most likely involve the economic aspect, as well as the defense industry, and procurement. On the other hand, such a huge decision could indeed make it easier for Morocco to obtain the F-35, even if I belive such a procurement could be open for discussion without any HQ in Morocco.

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,589
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
There has been some news circulating for the past year regarding the interest of the Americans to move their AFRICOM headquarters to Morocco. During the African lion exercise that lasted from 20 may to the 31st May, many members of the congress, as well as AFRICOM commanders attended.

Morocco has in the past always rejected foreign bases in its territory, and the rumors are giving Moroccans mixed feelings due to its nature of sovereignty, and independence.

My question arises, how would such a move affect Morocco militarily, and economically speaking? Pros vs cons?

@Anmdt @BaburKhan @Afif @Kartal1 @TR_123456 @Kartal1 @Bogeyman @Yasar_TR @Saithan @Gary @dBSPL , and the rest of the respected brothers in the forum.

It makes sense, Morocco is the closest to the Sahel and happens to be one of the few remaining 'friendlies' in Northern Africa to the US. The U.S ain't stop fighting AQ and IS just because the Sahelian African states rejected their presence because they know none of those states are capable on their own.

In regards to rejecting foreign territory. Morocco is the same country that normalizes with Israel, so merely accommodating foreign bases is not a big deal. It'll be easier to convince the population about the pros of having American military infrastructure in your land than for the Moroccan government to convince Moroccans to accept normalization.

My opinion about hosting American bases is it kills the sense of self-sufficiency in the long run, sure you will be rewarded initially. But countries that hosted U.S bases has a historical record of either :

1. Failing when the U.S. decided to retrograde its presence (S.Vietnam, Afghanistan)
  2. Lose the purpose of having a capable army (like the Philippines)
Anyway its the choice of the Moroccan ruler, which the Moroccan people have to bear the consequence.

Bogeyman 

Experienced member
Professional
Reactions
61 29,986
Website
twitter.com
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Such a move would be only taken based on the long relationship between the two states, and the capability that Morocco possesses in the African continent from not only a military standpoint but also economy, and diplomacy. These developments have long been on the agenda even with the expulsion of the American troops stationed in Niger. Morocco on the other hand has excellent ties with the new Sahel block, and Morocco is countering the French reach in its near proximity.

The Americans on the other hand need a strong ally in the continent where common interests can be met, and we also see that Turkey, China, Russia, Iran, and the Gulf states are also involved in the continent.

With all respect to you brother, Morocco is not that cheap. If Morocco accepts such a proposal from the Americans to move its headquarters to Morocco then it means a new huge dimensional cooperation that will most likely involve the economic aspect, as well as the defense industry, and procurement. On the other hand, such a huge decision could indeed make it easier for Morocco to obtain the F-35, even if I belive such a procurement could be open for discussion without any HQ in Morocco.
The US may make sweet promises to Morocco in the short term. However, in the medium and long term, the US has always been an unreliable ally. Morocco giving a military base to the US will cause your relations with Algeria to become even more strained. And it will increase the possibility of seeing Russian military bases next to you one day. This tension will never bring you peace as a result, on the contrary, it may cause you to become a front line in the Russian-US camp. The US's habit of leaving its allies alone after putting them in a difficult situation will only bring you destruction.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
22 18,905
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
I don’t think there is any need to rush this. It’s better to keep status quo than rush into something like allowing US to have bases.

Many has already pointed out several reasons that seems sound.

I think Morocco should see how things goes.

I don’t know how the trade balance is but I’d keep an eye on it and see if the economy gets squeezed. Then you’ll know what kind of allies you have.

Knowledgeseeker

Experienced member
Arab Moderator
Morocco Moderator
Reactions
16 4,434
Nation of residence
Norway
Nation of origin
Moroco
It makes sense, Morocco is the closest to the Sahel and happens to be one of the few remaining 'friendlies' in Northern Africa to the US. The U.S ain't stop fighting AQ and IS just because the Sahelian African states rejected their presence because they know none of those states are capable on their own.

In regards to rejecting foreign territory. Morocco is the same country that normalizes with Israel, so merely accommodating foreign bases is not a big deal. It'll be easier to convince the population about the pros of having American military infrastructure in your land than for the Moroccan government to convince Moroccans to accept normalization.

My opinion about hosting American bases is it kills the sense of self-sufficiency in the long run, sure you will be rewarded initially. But countries that hosted U.S bases has a historical record of either :

1. Failing when the U.S. decided to retrograde its presence (S.Vietnam, Afghanistan)
  2. Lose the purpose of having a capable army (like the Philippines)
Anyway its the choice of the Moroccan ruler, which the Moroccan people have to bear the consequence.

Normalizing relations with a state, and hosting foreign bases is a huge difference that holds different weights. It's not about convincing the Moroccan population but more about what the cons would be, I'm sure that the pros would be enormous if such a deal is implemented due to the nature of the Moroccan state, and its people.

Interesting points, regarding point nr 1 I think that such a step would allow Morocco to evolve itself into a regional power both militarily, and economically speaking. These are the only suggestions I have right now that I can think of.

The US may make sweet promises to Morocco in the short term. However, in the medium and long term, the US has always been an unreliable ally. Morocco giving a military base to the US will cause your relations with Algeria to become even more strained. And it will increase the possibility of seeing Russian military bases next to you one day. This tension will never bring you peace as a result, on the contrary, it may cause you to become a front line in the Russian-US camp. The US's habit of leaving its allies alone after putting them in a difficult situation will only bring you destruction.

Interesting! I think that Americans are in need of Morocco, and at the same time, Morocco can benefit hugely from these geopolitical changes that are taking place on the African continent. I remember reading about the Americans shifting their focus to Africa after redrawing from Afghanistan. Turkiye is a country that benefited hugely from the Americans because of the Cold War, and its close proximity to the Russians.

Regarding Algeria, I believe that the relations have hit rock bottom, and there is no way of returning our relations before a war takes place, or that Morocco gets the ability to overpower them militarily speaking. Actually there have been in the past many incidents, and reports claiming that Russian bases are present in Algeria, or let's say the "southern provinces" of Algeria. At the same time, we see that Wagner is present in Sahel countries, and we have also heard that Wagner is cooperating hand in hand with Iran, and Hezbollah in supporting the Polisario militia against Morocco.

The events I mentioned could be a reason why the Americans are willing to transfer their AFRICOM HQ from Germany to Morocco.

I don’t think there is any need to rush this. It’s better to keep status quo than rush into something like allowing US to have bases.

Many has already pointed out several reasons that seems sound.

I think Morocco should see how things goes.

I don’t know how the trade balance is but I’d keep an eye on it and see if the economy gets squeezed. Then you’ll know what kind of allies you have.

I hold the same opinion as you, I believe that the US needs to step up its economic trade with Morocco, investments, and military cooperation in the form of cooperation. I believe the Americans need Morocco as its close partner in the continent, similar to how the Americans are pushing Poland in Europe. Sooner or later it will be forced to have a strong, and reliable partner against the Europeans because the Europeans are really not happy with the American hegemony. Politics, politics.. :LOL:

Bogeyman 

Experienced member
Professional
Reactions
61 29,986
Website
twitter.com
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Normalizing relations with a state, and hosting foreign bases is a huge difference that holds different weights. It's not about convincing the Moroccan population but more about what the cons would be, I'm sure that the pros would be enormous if such a deal is implemented due to the nature of the Moroccan state, and its people.

Interesting points, regarding point nr 1 I think that such a step would allow Morocco to evolve itself into a regional power both militarily, and economically speaking. These are the only suggestions I have right now that I can think of.

Interesting! I think that Americans are in need of Morocco, and at the same time, Morocco can benefit hugely from these geopolitical changes that are taking place on the African continent. I remember reading about the Americans shifting their focus to Africa after redrawing from Afghanistan. Turkiye is a country that benefited hugely from the Americans because of the Cold War, and its close proximity to the Russians.

Regarding Algeria, I believe that the relations have hit rock bottom, and there is no way of returning our relations before a war takes place, or that Morocco gets the ability to overpower them militarily speaking. Actually there have been in the past many incidents, and reports claiming that Russian bases are present in Algeria, or let's say the "southern provinces" of Algeria. At the same time, we see that Wagner is present in Sahel countries, and we have also heard that Wagner is cooperating hand in hand with Iran, and Hezbollah in supporting the Polisario militia against Morocco.

The events I mentioned could be a reason why the Americans are willing to transfer their AFRICOM HQ from Germany to Morocco.

I hold the same opinion as you, I believe that the US needs to step up its economic trade with Morocco, investments, and military cooperation in the form of cooperation. I believe the Americans need Morocco as its close partner in the continent, similar to how the Americans are pushing Poland in Europe. Sooner or later it will be forced to have a strong, and reliable partner against the Europeans because the Europeans are really not happy with the American hegemony. Politics, politics.. :LOL:
I do not want Algeria and Morocco to be pawns of the US and Russia. Our close relations with the US have made us lose decades as much as they have made us gain. Our 40 years from the 1960s to the 2000s have completely evaporated. Because of the power struggles of the US and other superpowers through their pawns in Turkey. I don't want something similar to happen to Morocco.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
22 18,905
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
I think it’s important to look at history the past 50 years. But I don’t think it’ll be similar to what we went through, considering how technology has advanced. Remember when we couldn’t order spare parts during 70’s and gaddafi gave us what we needed for the planes.

But then Gaddafi had a fall out with the west and was sanctioned. Which is why it’s important to have an independent ecosystem for defence industry.

But I really don’t think there is any need to rush for Morocco.

I think investment and development is quite important for Morocco and you can get that even without having to accept hosting us bases.

It’ll come naturally when EU and US gets kicked out of every african country who’re tired of their arrogance. And as Turkey keeps supplying the african countries with low cost TB2 systems to battle rebels, terrorists and such.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom