DBdev

Committed member
Reactions
8 463
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
You seems to have a misunderstanding of how radar emissions and RWR work.
You are the one that brought up RWR not me. I was talking about F22 AESA Receiver modules that are sensitive to radar waves from others' transmitters while running in silent mode. RWR is a more basic version with receivers only. But principles are the same there too.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
65 7,576
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
You are the one that brought up RWR not me. I was talking about F22 AESA Receiver modules that are sensitive to radar waves from others' transmitters while running in silent mode. RWR is a more basic version with receivers only. But principles are the same there too.

Both dedicated RWR and AESA T/R modules only listening passively work with the same principle. Neither is gonna detect an emission that is not directed to it.

DBdev

Committed member
Reactions
8 463
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Both dedicated RWR and AESA T/R modules only listening passively work with the same principle. Neither is gonna detect an emission that is not directed to it.
Breaking news for you: All light SCATTERS!
Even highest quality, most focused light (laser) scatters. That is how a camera can see a focused laser wave that is not directed to it. Did you bother to read my post?

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,738
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
@TheInsider F-22 radar can see radar signals of all the F-35s flying below it through R modules while in passive mode without transmitting anything even when F-35 AESA (most modern hard to detect) are targeting other planes. Similar to Sentinel satellites seeing Sx00 radar signals from all the way from space but better since this is AESA.

This method is similar to submarines rarely sending a sonar ping and running sonar silent for days while constantly listening for enemy pings.
Will BURFIS receiver modules be able to scan the sky for enemy AESA radar signals and channel hopping encrypted communications even when they are not directed at KAAN?

Submarines can send a single pulse instead of max power continuous waves to detect other silent running submarines. Can KAAN do that single ping tactic against a silent F22?

A visual aid
Every radar does that to some extent. You can listen to RF signals that your receiver can pick up. In that regard, the F-35 is likely better than the F-22 as its radar is more advanced. If your receiver module has wide frequency coverage it can pick up signals at a wide frequency range and if it is more sensitive it can pick up weak signals and pick up signals in a high noise environment it will perform better. Algorithms and filters also come into the equation it is not something simple.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
65 7,576
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Every radar does that to some extent. You can listen to RF signals that your receiver can pick up. In that regard, the F-35 is likely better than the F-22 as its radar is more advanced. If your receiver module has wide frequency coverage it can pick up signals at a wide frequency range and if it is more sensitive it can pick up weak signals and pick up signals in a high noise environment it will perform better. Algorithms and filters also come into the equation it is not something simple.

No, he think it radar T/R modules can pick up emmision that is not directed to it. That is simply not gonna happen. If i am on a F35 and my APG-81 is only emitting at 65-70 degrees and a KAAN coming at me from my 132 degrees head on, it's not gonna detect anything. Unless APG-81 directs its beams toward that direction.

DBdev

Committed member
Reactions
8 463
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Yes exactly. This guy kept insisting you can't see anything if they are not giving you their full radar blast for 10 messages despite various examples I provided that debunked his posts. Sheesh.

But in order to achieve this you need 2 things, very high quality (low noise) receiver modules (as in a sat LNB hardware with lower noise level being able to capture sat signals better, etc.) and also advanced purpose specific signal processing software module for said passive detection mode.

An example to that: Sentinel satellites can not detect ground radar signals focusing on a ship, for example, not with their default settings. But data is still there with various software filters and software signal frequency boosters+dampeners, you can adjust it so that it CAN see the actual radar waves all the way from space!

F-22 is an American only air superiority fighter. It makes sense that they don't allow F-35s to be at the level of their best fighter planes. Not that it is not capable in theory.

My point was about the passive quality of our BURFIS. High energy is a good thing in certain scenarios but passive running high quality radar hardware, software is even better. Stealth is not just about Radar and IR. Stealth communication and radar operation are all parts of stealth. Even engine noise is important in certain scenarios.

Last edited:

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom