TR HÜRJET-Advanced Jet Trainer/ Light attack aircraft

IC3M@N FX

Reactions
4 254
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Within the scope of the Hürjet program, the platform is aimed to have highly competent qualifications. Thus, in addition to AJT and LIFT as NVG compatible, it will have state of the art HMI, High AoA, HUD and Helmet mounted Display, fully digital FCS, wet and dry Aerial refuelling, AESA radar targeting pod, A-to-A, A-to-G strike ammunition compatibility, and many more... In terms of propulsion, volume and targeted roles, probably the closest example is the KAI T-50/TA-50 (Golden Eagle) and FA-50 (Fighting Eagle) programs of our Korean friends. KAI was also studying on a variant of this platform with almost the same payload capacity as the F-16 (I think twin-engine), but I don't know what the current status is.

The fact that it is a two-seater jet and will be able to offer an avionic infrastructure similar to the KAAN main combat jets suggests that the Hürjet will not be limited to training pilots as a lead-in jet. Its carrying capacity will be significantly increased in phases such as Block 2 or 3 of the LCA variant. And in fact, a highly capable platform is emerging, regardless of its carrying capacity. If you take into account the fact that it can be produced with our domestic industrial capabilities without being dependent on foreign countries, it is very likely that we will try many things on this platform.
That remains to be seen... in itself, the further development of a GEN 4+ fighter aircraft is a dead end in the long term.
Apart from an air superiority fighter of the 5th generation, we actually need a low-cost workhorse like the F-16 that is both maintenance-friendly and cost-effective in its missions, because TAI KAAN will not fulfill this as an air superiority fighter.
At the moment, the F-16 + drones fulfill this spectrum, but in the long term we need a domestic replacement that fulfills this task with the drones and is cheap at the same time.
Either Turkey builds a cheaper fighter based on TAI KAAN as a single jet delta canard version (I have already mentioned it 1000 times) or you should consider an aircraft like J-17, with Turkish avionics & software that fulfill this task together with the remaining F-16 + drones.
Because we will neither get the F-35 or the Eurofighter/Rafaele, nor will we buy more F-16s except now the 40 pieces including 79 Block 70 upgrade packs which is not 100% sure yet, the Americans can still block by something flimsy.
Apart from that after 8-10 years most of the F-16s will simply be dead, just because of airframe fatigue e.g. the Block 30/40 Özgür versions, and TAI KAAN is simply too expensive to build 400-500 aircraft to fill this gap.
Apparently, Hürjet cannot fulfill this task, and when the later blocks are ready, e.g. in 9-10 years, to replace an F-16, it will already be hopelessly technologically outdated as a combat aircraft.
From 2035-2040, for example, a GEN 5 will be the absolute standard in the industrialized countries and GEN 6 will be at the start as an elite aircraft in series production.

Last edited:

uçuyorum

Contributor
Reactions
9 1,219
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
In my Opinion not, Hürjet is a Force Multiplier. Hürjet can carry up to 1.5 Tons, F-16 around 7 Tons.
Buzzword. Hürjet is the opposite of force multiplier. It is too expensive for the impact it would deliver. As a trainer and acrobatics jet it will probably be really good. But even with some nice avionics it will probably not deliver enough impact to compete with drones that are cheaper and stealthier.

boredaf

Contributor
Solutions
Reactions
11 2,833
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
In my Opinion not, Hürjet is a Force Multiplier. Hürjet can carry up to 1.5 Tons, F-16 around 7 Tons.
2.7 tons, Hürkuş has a limit of 1.5 tons.

Buzzword. Hürjet is the opposite of force multiplier. It is too expensive for the impact it would deliver. As a trainer and acrobatics jet it will probably be really good. But even with some nice avionics it will probably not deliver enough impact to compete with drones that are cheaper and stealthier.
I agree with this. Even though it can carry more than what was stated above, it is still far too lightweight to be used effectively for anything but for counter-terrorist operations. Not to mention, due to its geometry, I doubt it'll be even as stealthy as some other 4th gen fighters, like Rafale or Eurofighter or Gripen. And, its light attack configuration is trying to break into an arena that already has strong competitors so there is no guarantee that it's going to sell enough to justify its cost.

Turkic

Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I don't think we will see another light manned fighter jet project. Instead, when we need to replace F-16's like 2040, an unmanned fighter based on KE or Anka-4 will fill that gap (considering rise of AI). But in a shorter term, for other countries who lacks at budget, single engine Kaan can never be enough cheap for those countries. A Super Hürjet (like Hornet to Super Hornet; a new airframe for lower observability, single seater design and maybe an additional engine) or KE-C would be much better. They would have similar performance to the JF-17 and would be enough cheap. If not for an aircraft carrier, I don't think there will be need for a single engine Kaan.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom